A-Z DREAM SYMBOLSA B C D E F G H I J K L M N O - P - Q R S T U V W X - Y - Z
Dream symbols - drown
DROWNING IN DREAMS : Understanding dreams is not so difficult. In practice dream symbols translate into certain words within the English language. For instance a drowning dream may simply capture your feeling that "yesterday I was overwhelmed" and so drowning may translate into the word "overwhelmed" as drowning was a metaphor for you feeling overwhelmed.
WHY ARE THESE KEY WORDS LINKED TO THIS SYMBOL?- "desperate" (obviously if you are drowning then you extremely desperate)
- "suffering" (drowning is an excellent metaphor for any form of "suffering")
- "illness" (if you are really ill with something you feel as if you are drowning metaphorically)
- "overwhelmed" (drowning is something that will overwhelm you. Did you feel overwhelmed yesterday? Did you want to help someone who was clearly overwhelmed?)
- "terrible consequences"
- "appalling" (a drowning is something appalling and so this is an excellent metaphor for anything that is appalling)
- "save" (if someone is drowning then you can save that person. Saving someone maybe a metaphor for anyone you wish to save or some cause which you have to heart. This maybe just a dreams way of saying "she mean so much to me").
- "wanting to protect" (if you jump into save someone it shows you really care. Have you been thinking about how vulnerable someone is? Have you had fantasies about saving someone dear to you? )
- "swamped" (if you are drowning then you are swamped. Did you feel swamped yesterday? Were things getting on top of you?)
- "failing" (if you are failing at something then you feel metaphorically as if you are drowning)
- "someone important to you" (if someone is important to you you would jump into a river to save them)
- "crisis" (a drowning is obviously a crisis and so could be a metaphor for any crisis)
- "hard times" (during hard times we feel as if we are lowly drowning)
- "worried" (you maybe metaphorically drowning in worries)
- "not coping" (if you are drowning you are clearly not coping so a drowning dream could represent any situation where you or someone is not coping)
- "depression" (you may feel as if you are metaphorically drowning with depression. Do you know someone who seems particularly depressed? Were you shocked at how low they had sunk?)
- "ability to handle crisis" (your dream may provide a test for someone - how they perform shows how you feel they will handle a crisis)
Now try to see how words in this list feature in your thoughts. Think of the things that you write down in a diary or tell a friend. Its likely that dreams translate into conscious thoughts that you are all too aware of - nowadays not many people believe in the unconscious mind. If any of the thoughts that you have seem to feature words on the list then its likely that the dream could link to that exact thought - it may even portray that exact thought process. So if you have been feeling that "My friend is very depressed" then drowning in a dream may portray that feeling exactly.
Dreams can capture very sophisticated thoughts. Take for instance the following dream - "I went to save my ex girlfriend from drowning. When I gave her the kiss of life she was surprised it was me and not some lifeguard". In real life the dreamer had split with her and he felt that this was a pity. He thought that they were still destined for each other. He realised that they were not really expressing their emotions. Saving someone is a very powerful metaphor and in this case its linked to the dreamers belief that he was the one for her and that they were destined to be together. It also deals with the feeling that she just has not realised this just yet. So by looking at the dreamers background information and state of mind we find the dream capture this exact feeling - "We should not have split up. She does not realise that we are destined to be together".