A-Z DREAM SYMBOLSA B C D E F G H I J K L M N O - P - Q R S T U V W X - Y - Z
Dream symbols - golf
GOLF IN DREAMS: Understanding dreams is not so difficult. In practice dream symbols translate into certain words within the English language. For instance a dream about golf may simply capture your sexual arousal. That's because the object of the game is to "get it in the hole" which is a strong sexual metaphor.
FULL LIST OF KEYWORDS
In practice golf has several symbolic meanings. Here is the full list.
- "closer and closer to the truth" (Is someone getting closer to the truth than you would like? Have you been working on something but just cannot seem to get it just right)
- "closer and closer to finishing something" (Have you been trying to get something finished but cannot seem to manage it. In golf you get closer and closer to your target. This is an excellent metaphor for some task which you are trying to complete )
- "sexual metaphor" (Anything with a hole in it can be a sexual metaphor for the female sex organs. So if you had any sex orientated thoughts before going to sleep or if you were aroused on waking up the dream might link to that)
- "business contacts" (Golf is often linked to business people building up a network of contacts. So any thoughts which linked to contacts would probably link to this. Are you wanting to make some new contacts? Are you been pressurised to help some friends you know who are business contacts)
- "middle class" (There are other probable associations with golf that we could make. It is a very middle class sport and so could link to any thoughts surrounding social class. For some people this could be aspirational - wanting to mix with people who have contacts. For others the middle class element may link to their dislike of middle class people and achieving in general. For someone who is a drop out the middle class golf player maybe be exactly the type of person they dislike)
Its a fallacy that dreams capture unconscious thoughts - dreams represent thoughts that we are all too aware of. A typical dream would translate into the types of thoughts that we might write down in a diary or tell a best friend. Dreams represent your key thoughts which pinpoint the problems right now. Try to write down some quotes which capture your feelings right now and try to include the words and phrases above. For instance if you have been thinking about how you have been trying to stop someone finding out the truth but they have kept on chipping then golf is an excellent metaphor. The entire point of golf is to get closer and closer until you get to the goal. This is an excellent metaphor for exposing the truth.
Dreams can represent very sophisticated thoughts. One golf dream in our database was proving difficult to analyse. We were certain it linked to the day before when the dreamer kept writing and rewriting a report. Each time he kept trying to perfect the wording. Eventually he got it right. The whole process had totally engrossed him - he had become very emotionally involved in this whole process. The dream just involved golf and a knife. What could this mean? how could this portray a new thought? Well eventually the whole symbolism became clear when we realised what the game of golf involves. The whole object is to get nearer and nearer to the goal before we hit the target. This is a remarkably accurate metaphor for the dreamers wish to rewrite and rewrite a report until it was just right. The knife was also a telling dream symbol. Knives can link to issues we are getting emotionally involved in. A knife cuts through and gets right into a subject. This was a good metaphor for the dreamer getting emotionally involved and engrossed in this subject the night before. So the golf game captured this thought - "I kept getting closer and closer until I got the report just right". Whilst the knife captured this thought - "I got very involved emotionally in this". So if we add these two thoughts together we build up a sophisticated dream meaning - "I became very engrossed in the subject. Each time I rewrote the report until eventually I got it just right". So actually the dream was very relevant to the dreamers previous day. The dream captured (in symbolic language) the dreamers key feeling about the night before. These symbols probably relate to how the mind stores complex intuitions. It cannot do this with words - instead it uses metaphors which join together to build up a meaning.
Think of the process like maths.
Golf="getting closer and closer until I get the report just right"
Knife="delving into a subject"
Dream meaning= Golf + Knife
Dream Meaning= "I delved into the subject and each time I got closer and closer to the answer I wanted until I got it just perfect"