A-Z DREAM SYMBOLSA B C D E F G H I J K L M N O - P - Q R S T U V W X - Y - Z
Dream symbols - rape
RESEARCH INTO DREAMS OF RAPE : Understanding dreams is not so difficult. In practice dream symbols translate into certain words within the English language. For instance a "rape" dream may translate into this type of emotion - "I felt violated by my boss yesterday. The way he spoke to me totally humiliated me". The rape would therefore be a symbol for the feelings of "humiliation" and "violation". The dream simply uses the rape to express these specific feelings. Its meaning can be translated into these words "humiliation" and "violation".
KEY WORDS LINKED TO THIS SYMBOL?
This section will give you an insight into virtually any rape dream.
- "humiliation" (Rape in a dream may just mean that you were humiliated the day before - humiliation being one of the most common emotions during rape)
- "abuse" (Rape could link to any abusive behaviour. Some people say they felt as if they were raped to signify some situation where they feel totally abused)
- "violated" (try to think of any incident which made you feel disgusted or tainted.)
- "male power" (think of any issue involving male dominance or male power over women.)
- "sexually inappropriate behaviour" (Any sexual harassment may trigger a rape dream. Its the minds way of saying that this person has no respect for women and could even be a potential rapist)
- "callous" (did anyone behave callously yesterday - did they behave in a cold and heartless way, like a rapist)
- "sly and hurtful" (Did anyone say something yesterday with the intention of hurting you or others - just in the way a rapist would)
- "a bleak view" (The mind may occasionally use rape as a metaphor in a much wider sense - environmentalists say we are raping the world. Have you got a very bleak view of the world thinking people possible of only bad things?)
- "taken advantage of" (who took advantage of you yesterday?)
- "betrayal" (rape is a very powerful symbol and can link to any other extreme situations such as a complete betrayal)
- "violence towards women" (Just think of anything that links to violence towards women)
- "man hater" (maybe your dream was caused by a woman who expects the worst from men. Some women think all men are evil and potential rapists)
- "being used" (Rape may occasionally indicate that you feel used in some way in life e.g. a boss using an employee. Do you feel used by a friend?)
- "actually raped" (if you actually have been raped then the rape dream could link to that. You have maybe been thinking about how you have been dealing with this traumatic event - monitoring how well you have been getting over the pain)
- "sexual harassment" (rape can be the minds way of saying - he could be a rapist or he is sexist. So a rape dream could link to any sexual harassment)
- "awkward and nervous about sex" (A virgin may feel violated by any man, even a caring and loving partner.)
- "kinky sex" (rape could hint occasionally of a preference for wild sex.)
- "innocence" (we associate rape with victims who are completely blameless and innocent. So rape can represent any innocence lost. Can you think of anyone who has lost their innocence recently? Has someone who is rather naive been tainted by the world? Have your children grown up quickly and been subjected to the harsh reality of the world around them?)
Now try to see how words in this list feature in your thoughts. Think of the things that you write down in a diary or tell a friend. Its likely that dreams translate into conscious thoughts that you are all too aware of - nowadays not many people believe in the unconscious mind. If any of the thoughts that you have seem to feature words on the list then its likely that the dream could link to that thought - it may even portray that exact thought process. So if you have been feeling that "I was sexually harassed yesterday" then the "rape" is symbolic of the man's attempt to dominate a woman sexually and for his lack of respect for women in general.
Rape dreams can have odd meanings. For instance a dream about children being raped was linked to the dreamers extremely bleak view of the world - she felt that there was only pain in the world. So really her "gang rape" dream could translate into the words "a bleak view of the world". What better way to express your pessimism for the world in general by showing the darkest crime committed against the most innocent.
In fact rape dreams can be your minds way of saying the word "vile". A dream about the dreamers daughter being gang raped was linked to the dreamer finding out the man she loved was having sex with men. The rape symbolised the feelings she felt about this - she was disgusted and utterly humiliated. The story contained in the dream was a symbol for how vile she thought her ex was.